Parks & Wildlife
Edinburgh Zoo is one of Europe’s loveliest wildlife parks, set in spacious hillside park/and just ten minutes from the city centre.
– meet over 1,000 animals -furry, feathery and scaly -from all over the world
– explore our new African Plains experience, with a high level walkway taking you into the heart of the enclosure, overlooking zebra, ostrich and oryx
– get lost in the fountain-filled Darwin maze and learn about evolution
– watch the penguins on their daily parade outside their enclosure at 2.00pm (March -October, weather permitting)
– see the penguins swimming underwater in the world’s biggest penguin pool
Things to do at Easter, weekends in April, May and june. and every day in july and August :
ANIMAL HANDLING get really close to a wide variety of small creatures including snails, rats and snakes
INFORMATION TALKS meet the keepers and learn all about some of our most interesting and endangered animals
BRASS RUBBING choose an endangered species and take home a lovely memento of your visit
TOUCH TABLES find out more about animals by getting to grips with some interesting bones, horns, teeth and skins
The Zoo is open every day of the year, including Christmas Day, opening at 9am every day and closes between 4.30pm and 6pm. Tel. (0131) 334 9171 www.edinburghzoo.org.uk
Deep Sea World
-The world’s largest Underwater Safari.
– Scotland’s largest Piranha display.
.- Europe’s largest collection of Sand Tiger Sharks.
– Touch live exhibits in the Rock Pools.
– Speak to the divers as they hand feed the fish.
– Snake and frog encounter sessions.
– Dangerous animals exhibit.
– Stunning Amazonian experience.
Open every day. 24 hour customer information line: 0906 941 0077 For further information and advance ticket booking visit www.deepseaworld.com
Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World
Take your family to a Tropical Paradise. Whatever the weather, stroll through the wonderful world of an exotic rainforest, a landscape of tropical plants surrounding splashing waterfalls and pools.
Enjoy watching hundreds of the World’s most Spectacular and Colourful Butterflies flying all around you. Enter the fascinating world of Insects and observe scorpions, tarantulas, leaf-cutting ants, giant stick insects and many others. Handle then if you wish!
Free Parking, Gift shop, Tea Room. Open all year 10am -5pm Tel. (0131) 6634932
Blair Drummond Safari Park
Wild animal reserves – Pets’ Farm – Performing Sea Lion Shows – Giant Astraglide – Boat Safari to Chimpanzee island – Adventure playground – Picnic and BBQ areas – ‘Flying fox’ – Five seater Pedal boats.
Admission: Adults £8.50 Children £4.50 Open daily 10am from 31st March to 1st October 2001 Tel. (01786) 841456 For further information visit www.safari-park.co.uk
Scottish Seabird Centre
Explore the fascinating world of seabirds through remote controlled cameras, allowing the viewing of nesting gannets and puffins. Auditorium, cafe and shop. Open all year. Tel. (01620) 890202